If you’re a ‘depressed housewife’, and are determined to fight this disease and regain the happy life that you once had, then try making these ten easy changes and feel the difference!
1) Bright Colours – Keeping up with the latest design trends can not only be stressful, but with a lot of neutrals becoming the popular choice, you can end up waking up in a dungeon everyday without even realizing it. It’s time to do away with those dark, drab colours and spice it up a bit! Go to your paint store and pick out the brightest colours you can find in shades that you love! Try replacing brown shades with peach, dark green with a bright citrus green, and steer clear of greys, burgundies, and any other drab colour you may be inclined to choose. Sometimes depressed women will automatically be drawn to depressing colours, so it may be a good idea to take someone along with you who will step in if you start slipping into this habit.
2) Lively Plants – Get rid of any fake plants or plants that are half dead. You need to breathe new life into your home! Find yourself some tropical trees and plants. Throw in some colourful flowers to make it fresh. Maybe you’re like me and have a problem forgetting to water your plants, but have no fear! Most tropical plants and trees do not need a lot of watering or attention…so there are no excuses!
3) Heavy Drapes – Heavy drapes and curtains can be overwhelming. Lighten up your home by choosing bright sheers. Long, sheer, white panels can make any window look brighter and bigger. Make sure you open your curtains everyday no matter how tempting it is to keep them closed…let the sunshine in!
4) Clean up! – A cluttery, messy home is uncomfortable and discouraging. At first, you may find it difficult to motivate yourself to get cleaning. If so, call a close friend or family member to help you out. Your home should be your sanctuary, and a clean place to relax is just that!
5) Exercise- Studies show that physical activity releases feel-good endorphins in your brain. Exercise will make you feel better! If you’re not accustomed to regular exercise, start off with a short walk. Taking up a sport is another good idea. You’ll be working your body and having a good time too!
6) Positive Company – We all have people in our lives that can be just plain negative. You don’t need to cut these people out of your life, but avoid negative talk and try to surround yourself, as often as possible, with fun-loving, positive people! You know the old saying – “You are the company you keep!”
7) Journal – Journaling is a great way to release your negative emotions and anxiety. As soon as you get up in the morning grab your journal and begin writing whatever comes to mind. At the end of the day pick up your journal again and write about things that took place, how you felt, and something positive that happened. Looking back you will no doubt find that a lot of the anxiety you experienced that morning was unfounded, and no matter how you felt at first, the world is still turning!
8) Cheerful Events – Cheerful events do not have to involve a lot of people. Sometimes crowds and confusion can be too overwhelming, even if it is meant to be a fun event. Try taking your dog for a walk on a sunny day, find some crafts to do with your children, or go have a picnic with your husband. Getting one-on-one with people you love reveals the simplicity and joy that life is just waiting to bring you!
9) Read a Book – Find a good book and absorb yourself in it. Reading helps to redirect your thoughts to a new world and a new point of view. Reading is a good, healthy escape for your mind.
10) Find a Hobby – Find something that interests you and allot a certain amount of time each day or week to enjoy it. It may be walking, hiking, painting, music, or stamp collecting – anything that makes you happy! You’ll find that with your mind occupied by something pleasant, you will clear out some of your negative energy.
Most importantly, learn to do these things without apprehension of what other people will think or say. It just doesn’t matter! Find the path in life that most benefits you and the people you love! You are meant to live an amazing life!